You know those moments; the boss drops a last-minute project off on your desk that needs to be done at the same time you’re supposed to be meeting with your rambunctious son’s school teacher to discuss his behavior problems, your in-laws are coming to stay for a week, you get a flat tire and your largest customer calls to complain. As soon as you stop to notice it, you recognize that feeling of tension creeping from your shoulders, up your neck, ready to turn into a full-blown tension headache at any moment.
Stop! You can do a 2 minute, quick-fix anytime, anywhere to relieve tension and hopefully prevent that headache from taking hold.
1. Sit down, straighten out your spine and take a few deep breaths.
2. Interlace your hands on the back of your skull, pads of the thumbs resting on the ridge where your skull meets the neck.
3. Squeeze your hands together 3 times, gently pulling on the back of the head.
4. Rub the base of the palms in big circles (keeping fingers interlaced) 3 times clockwise, then 3 counterclockwise.
5. Press the thumbs into the canyon between the edge of your skull and the neck muscles. Move from the center of the skull on the spine out towards the ears, making circles the whole way. Then circle back to the center of the skull.
7. Move your hands down your neck and rub the neck muscles on either side of the spine.
8. Release arms, close eyes and take a few more deep breaths.
Triage complete, you’ve probably headed off a tension headache, at least temporarily.
Regular massage and bodywork can be a powerful prevention tool for stress related aches and pains, book your appointment here: www.IslandMassageOnline.com
Suzanne Andrew is a Thai Yoga Massage Therapist, Yoga Teacher, Business Consultant and the owner of Island Massage Therapy. (Florida Licensed Massage Therapist: MA51338)
So many of us suffer with stiff, sore necks. While there are a number of skeletal, muscular and nervous system reasons for sore necks; lots of neck tension can be eased by simply deepening the breath! While the diaphragm is … [CLICK TO READ MORE]
Waiting and watching Hurricane Irma for almost two weeks as she devastated Caribbean Islands as well as Key West, and not knowing which course she would take only to then find out days before she is headed directly towards us … [CLICK TO READ MORE]
I’ve been on both ends of this statement as the Massage Therapist who worked on your muscles and contributed to your soreness and then I’ve been the client that experienced soreness on more than one occasion! Here are a few … [CLICK TO READ MORE]
Seasons change, the weather starts to get hot, then before you know it the summer heat is in full blast! BUT WAIT… there are things you have to do to get your place in order. You try to get everything … [CLICK TO READ MORE]
My own worst massage ever was the time I went to a local massage mill; at the time I was desperate for a massage. I had let my issues go on too long and I didn’t do my research as … [CLICK TO READ MORE]
How Does Massage Enhance Relationships? Glad you asked! A healthy couple is a happy couple, and if you and your partner are looking to become healthier together … getting massage is the perfect place to start. If you and your … [CLICK TO READ MORE]
Are your muscles so sore and tight that your body screams, “I NEED A MASSAGE NOW”? That probably means you’ve waited too long, and having to wait for an appointment is just torture. Often, what happens is when you get … [CLICK TO READ MORE]